Google has changed the way Google Apps & Gmail work, so it's not possible to tell the difference anymore. This means that if your district uses Google Apps, it is not possible to force the students to have moderated or controlled email while at school.
First, add mail.google.com as unfiltered by going to:
- Go to "Website Filtering" -> "Website Access"
- Select the filter set
- Click on "Add a Site"
- Website Address > mail.google.com
- Reason for Change > Allow Access to Google
- Filtering > Unfiltered
- Port Access > Select Add Port Access
- Select additional filter sets if needed
- Click on Submit
- Repeat steps 3 to 9 for each site on the list below.
- Commit Changes and Restart
Please note that adding an allowed Port 443 SSL rule for www.google.com will NOT give your students access to https://www.google.com. We have added an additional filter in SecureSchool to redirect any user that tries to access https://www.google.com directly to http://www.google.com.
Google apps for education, Gmail